Subject Pathways 2020 – 2021
Subject Pathways September 2020
Calculating student Average Points Score (APS)
Each student’s average points score is calculated simply by:
total points scored for all GCSE subjects / total number of GCSEs taken
BTEC qualifications are not included in calculation but will be considered where appropriate, i.e. if students wish to study BTEC Level 3.
BTEC Sport not included in calculation
Total Points scored for all GCSE subjects 65 = 7.2 APS
Total number of GCSEs taken 9
Total Points scored for all GCSE subjects 43 = 5.375 APS
Total number of GCSEs taken 8
Trinity Catholic College 6th Form Subject Pathways 2020
Students can follow various pathways depending on their Average Point Score (APS) from GCSE results: (APS average point score from GCSE performance)
1. All students must have at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above including C grade equivalents in:
- GCSE English – Grade 4 or above
- GCSE Maths – Grade 4 or above
2. In addition to the above:
- Students studying Biology / Chemistry / Physics must also have at least a B grade in the examined component of the relevant Science GCSE
- Students studying Maths must have at least a Grade 6 in GCSE Maths
- Students studying BTEC Engineering will need at least a Grade 6 in Maths.
- Students studying some A level subjects may also be subject to additional entry criteria. For example to study Psychology, Sociology, Computing & Business students need an APS of at least 5 (Mostly C grades or equivalent and above at GCSE).
3. Any students without GCSE English and/or Maths at Grade 4 or above must undertake their resit in Year 1 of Sixth Form as part of their Programme of Study.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL COURSES CHOSEN WILL BE DISCUSSED FULLY AT YOUR ENROLMENT APPOINTMENT